The Doctor of Finance balances coursework and the thesis to help participants acquire the tools, attitudes, and experience to develop into autonomous researchers and innovators in finance. Recent developments in the financial industry in Ghana, Nigeria and elsewhere in West Africa suggest the need for finance professionals to develop the applied research knowledge and skills for evidence-based managerial decision-making, if we are to develop and sustain a viable financial industry.
The applied finance and research methods courses impart a thorough knowledge of financial theory and its literature and a solid comprehension of advanced analytical and research methods in financial economics. Doctoral candidates attend research workshops and presentations to acquire an intimate and detailed understanding of the most recent theoretical and modelling advances in their field of finance. Graduates of the program will assume significant leadership positions in financial organizations, and in the creation and dissemination of knowledge and the publication of research in journals and books to add significantly to the body of knowledge. From a learning and skill perspective, the program enables students to:
- Learn and apply advanced theory and research methods to solve complex practical finance problems.
- Develop into thought leaders/teachers in various subjects in the area of finance.
- Acquire knowledge and expertise required to identify, understand and successfully tackle the interdisciplinary, big-picture issues that characterize financial today
- Exhibit analytical and research skills in formal social inquiry required to define and address complex issues and to disseminate knowledge related to the financial profession in a variety of professional and public outlets to influence professional activity, management practice and public policy
- Demonstrate expertise in a specific topic area through the design, execution, and completion of a doctoral thesis that contributes to knowledge and practice of the field.
- Demonstrate ability to disseminate new knowledge through publications in practitioner journals and conferences and where possible academic outlets.
- Develop key skills in the design and delivery of educational courses through understanding of the theory and practice of teaching in business education.
- Develop ‘practitioner-scholars’ who will conduct and publish the results of rigorous applied finance research that advance an area of knowledge and practice
Master’s degree in accounting, finance, business, management or related area or equivalent qualification with at least 5 years of leadership experience in a business, public and other organizations